Registering at the Town Hall

The “Padrón” is the list of all the people who live in a certain town. “Empadronarse” is the act of registering yourself on this list with your local Town Hall.

Contact our English-speaking team for all your legal, property, and accounting needs.

Who should be registered?
Officially all residents in Spain are required by law to register on the Padrón, yet many still have not done so. The Pdrón is the way the Town Hall knows how many people live in their area, without entering into investigations as to a person’s official residence status or financial affairs. The information provided at registration is confidential and protected by data protection laws.


What are the benefits?

Better Public Services

The Central Government allocates money to the different municipalities according to how many people are on the Padron. Therefore, if you are not registered, your Town Hall is losing money for the provision of health centres, doctors, police officers, fire fighters and schools.

Access to Benefits and Social Care

You must be on the Padron for a certain period of time to take advantage of some income-related benefits and other aspects of social care available through social services at your Town Hall. Those on the Padron can enjoy discounted courses, leisure and cultural activities run by the Town Hall.


Voting Rights

In order to register in local or European elections, you must first be registered on the Padron as this is where the Census office in Malaga get their information to make up the electoral rules. When you register, should you also ask for the form to apply for your desire to vote in these electoral procedures.

Day to Day Life

Because this document is your official proof of address, you will need your Padron certificate to carry out almost any administrative task such as registering for healthcare, registering your car with Spanish number plates or any procedure carried out at the traffic headquarters, enrolling your children for Spanish schools etc.

What Documents are Necessary to the Register in the Town Hall?


Original passport and photocopy / NIE or Certificate of Registration with the National Police Foreign Office and photocopy.


Proof of ownership of property


If you do not own property and are renting, rental contract in Spanish and photocopy will be necessary


If you do not own property and you are not renting, you have to come with the owner of the dwelling in order for him to sign the registration form, authorizing you to register at his property


All family members over the age of 18 have to sign the registration form in person.

This certificate is valid for 3 months but can be issued again upon request.

For more information on our book keeping and accounts services please call our office in Marbella.

Does it need to be renewed?

The Town Hall will send you a notification if and when renewal is necessary to the property address of your registration.

Need help understanding the taxation system?

Download the FREE Guide to Taxes for Non-Residents in Spain, written by Raquel Perez, owner of Perez Legal.

Are you buying a property?


Then you need to know the process. Download the FREE Guideline Procedure for Purchasing a Property.

Confused with the legalities of buying a home?

Download the FREE Spain Legal Buying Guide, written by Raquel Perez, owner of Perez Legal Group.

Selling your property?


Get an overview of what is involved by downloading the FREE Guide to Selling Your Spanish Property Legally.

Do you need help planning for the future?

Find out more information on the inheritance system here in Spain by downloading the FREE Inheritance Services book.

Do you pay taxes?


Download the 2019 Tax Payer´s Calendar to find the dates you need to submit your tax declarations.


MAKING YOUR LIFE EASIER: FREE UK number: 0 20 36 95 23 30 | +34 952 833 169 | |
Open chat
Hello 👋
Can we help you?