Applying for a Mortgage in Spain
If you are considering applying for a mortgage in Spain, you are advised to bear in mind that Spanish mortgage lenders will require certain documentation. If you would like us to assist you in processing the application, we would require the following documents for the bank:
If you are employed by a company:
- Copy of your last annual income tax return (or P60)
- Copy of the last three wage slips
- Copy of bank reference letter stating that you are considered to be trustworthy
- Copy of your passport
- Copy of your bank account statements for the last 12 months
- Copy of a letter from an accountant and or employer stating your income
If you are self-employed:
- Copy of your last tax return or copy of the last two years profit and loss accounts certified by your Chartered Accountant
- Copy of a bank reference
- Copy of your passport
- Copy of your bank account statements of the last 12 months
- Copy of a letter from your chartered accountant stating your current income
You can forward this documentation to us either by email, fax or post.
We will also require:
- Mortgage capital required
- Duration of the loan
- Preferred maximum amount for monthly payments
The bank will always request that a provision of funds is in place in the client’s bank account prior to the signing of the mortgage. We will provide you with a final breakdown for completion of all these costs together with the purchase costs.
The bank will also require a valuation of the property and a provision of funds to cover this
When purchasing a new property from a developer, the developer may offer the buyer the option of taking over an existing mortgage. We would recommend comparing this offer with offers available from the lending institutions in Spain, and we could advise you on the best option.
If you do wish to apply for a mortgage please bear in mind that, once it is approved, the offers expires after 3 months so you should not apply until 2 or 3 months before completion.
Need help understanding the taxation system?
Download the FREE Guide to Taxes for Non-Residents in Spain, written by Raquel Perez, owner of Perez Legal.
Are you buying a property?
Then you need to know the process. Download the FREE Guideline Procedure for Purchasing a Property.
Confused with the legalities of buying a home?
Download the FREE Spain Legal Buying Guide, written by Raquel Perez, owner of Perez Legal Group.
Selling your property?
Get an overview of what is involved by downloading the FREE Guide to Selling Your Spanish Property Legally.
Do you need help planning for the future?
Find out more information on the inheritance system here in Spain by downloading the FREE Inheritance Services book.
Do you pay taxes?
Download the 2018 Tax Payer´s Calendar to find the dates you need to submit your tax declarations.