Application for residency

All European citizens who plan to spend more than 3 months in Spain are obliged to register as resident at the national police station (law 240/2007).  EU citizens will no longer receive a Residence card but an A4 Certificate of Registration provided by the Central Registry of Foreigners.

What you need to do

This certificate expires after 5 years and if you don’t have a NIE number when applying for the Certificate, they will assign you one automatically and you don’t have to make a separate application. This certificate is not valid as identification.